BORN: May 1st, 1968

A few years ago I got into the habit of buying back issues of pretty much every type of magazine (and yes comic books) that were published the month and year I was born: May 1st, 1968. It was just a fun little thing to do to give me a bit more understanding and insight about the groovy time era I was born into. And being the TV / pop culture fanatic that I still am today, one of the most revealing printed treasure troves of my first day outside of my mother came from the April 28th - May 4th issue of STL Post-Dispatch TV Magazine (our local version of TV Guide.)



Aside from learning that STL phone numbers still contained letters in '68, that the STL Cardinals played the Houston Astros (Cards won 3 - 1, I looked it up), and that at the time a brand spankin' new Dodge Charger only cost $2,661.00 (!!!), I learned my date of birth was also Linda Thorson's TV series debut in STL on The Avengers! Like I said, IMPORTANT STUFF! Click to enlarge the listings below from May 1st, 1968 for other cool, important stuff:





It's also interesting to see that back then (and with only 5 channels to choose from) there was still alot of greatness on TV to watch: Captain Kangeroo, Superman, Bewitched, Dark Shadows, Three Stooges, Leave it to Beaver, Lost in Space, Alfred Hitchcock, and some neat movies too! The ads sprinkled throughout as page fillers are also very defining of the time era-- look at those boat and beef prices! Below are a few more STL advertisments that I found interesting:


Do these car prices blow your mind?!! And I love the first letter above from the whiney old guy in the "Television Letter Box" section about how much better TV was back in his day. Good lord, nothing ever changes. Ever. Except that these days we have hundreds of channels to choose from and to complain about.
You have read this article with the title BORN: May 1st, 1968. You can bookmark this page URL http://lopgji.blogspot.com/2010/08/born-may-1st-1968.html. Thanks!

No comment for "BORN: May 1st, 1968"

Post a Comment